more terbiasa
A few more things here that I thought we'd take much longer to get used to. Somehow it's begun to happen in spite of ourselves.
These pretty ladies both work as helpers/servants in our neighbors' homes. I never thought it would be normal to me that it's normal here to have 'maids'. But I've gotten to know these two ladies, and now I see. They love their jobs, and are so grateful to have work. The lady on the lower step is our closest neighbor. Nadia calls her "Nenek", which is "Grandma." She's 53 years old and still works full-time. Meaning, she gets up at 4:30am to chop firewood, heat up water for cooking, clean her house, cook breakfast for her husband (who is a little bit nuts, but we love him). She goes to her job up the road at 9am, where she cleans up after the family there and then cooks their lunch. She then comes home and cooks her own lunch (i love to surprise her with food from our kitchen to save her another hour of cooking... sometimes i wonder if i'm really doing her any favors). Sometimes she goes back to work after lunch. Other days, she takes a nap, or plays (loudly) on our front porch with the neighborhood kids (including Nadia) until sundown.
I am, by no means, used to these stupid things. But at least I don't jump a foot off the ground and scream my head off every time i see one. These little geckos live ((AND POOP)) all over our house. I hate them with a passion. There is no way to get rid of them. It's just one of those things we have to allow for and try to adapt to. Yuck.
Watching my baby grow into a little girl. When did that happen?

1 Comments:
I love the picture of Nadia--she looks really long!
Post a Comment
<< Home