02 October 2010

Baby Clothes, Batik, Blankies and a Brand New Butterfly

Phil came home the other day with an early birthday present for me. He went out and bought me a brand new manual sewing machine (fresh off the conveyor belt)! We had to sell the one I had on Java, but my new one is much nicer, cleaner and newer than my old beloved Standard. The new one is a Butterfly (tailors' choice here in Indonesia). I've wasted no time in making use of it. (I even gave it a name: "Puccini". Does anyone have a guess as to why "Puccini"?).



Some of Nadia's dresses that she's outgrown had caught my eye recently, and I noticed that they matched nicely with some batik I had bought on Java.

I had been toying with the idea of making a bed spread for her since last year, so I got to work. Phil helped me with the math of designing the center (I had gotten a few ideas from some internet searching).


Yesterday, i finished her new "blankie". She's been watching as I've worked. She says, "Mama make a bankieyou?"
Starting in a few weeks i'll be teaching some local girls how to use the machine as well as some simple sewing principles. I'm excited to put Puccini to good use. So far, he's been a faithful and reliable little machine. :0)

2 Comments:

Blogger Bethy said...

That was a SUPER cute post!!! Great job, you were practically Soulemama.com Great job on the quilt, hopefully in the not too distant future I'll be posting something similar:-)

3:49 AM  
Blogger timandmichelle (timandshelly) said...

madame butterfly, perhaps???

I love the quilt. One day I will sit down and just whip one up. One day.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home