22 August 2007

just a little drama

So, no photos for this post - Sorry, but we thought it would be in everyone's best interest. We had an interesting day on Monday, to say the least. Apparently, we don't have enough drama in our lives - I had to spice things up a bit. We went to give blood at one of the area hospitals on Monday, and all was well until about 15 minutes after they pulled the needle out of my arm. I felt totally fine, and blood and needles have never, ever been an issue for me, so that wasn't the problem. We made it out of the blood bank, up the stairs and onto the sidewalk, when I collapsed like a bag of bricks. Poor, poor phil. He says that I just flopped to the ground, my head hit the sidewalk, lips started turning blue and eyes began rolling around in my head. When I do it up, folks, I do it up good. Nurses came running with a wheelchair, and somehow managed to stuff my limp body into the thing (legs and arms flailing aimlessly). They then ran me down to the ER. It was on this quick trip to the ER that I began to feel myself coming around. I was trying so hard to tell phil that i was alright, and that i was sorry for making such a scene, but apparently (and sadly for panicking phil) all i was doing was moaning very loudly for all the world to hear. All the while, my head is lolling around uncontrollably with every turn that the nurses take with the wheelchair. Phil recalls that my skin was the color of white clay, and that there were dark purple circles around my eye sockets, and that my lips stayed an eerie shade of blue for way too long.

To make a long story short, we spent about 3 hours in the emergency room, 1 of which was spent hooked up to an IV, and all of which was spent feeling like a big idiot. My blood pressure, they tell me, is far too low even on a good day for me to be eligible to give blood. When i was wheeled into the ER, it was 80/60....hence my blue lips and lolling head. Poor phil. We are both recovering happily from our scene-making episode at Mercy Hospital, and are ardently persuing the idea of never giving blood again....at least i am.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Shelly! That's really scary. I've seen something similar to that happen in college before. It makes me scared to give blood! I'm glad to hear that you are doing better now. We miss you guys.

<3 Ashley & Noah

1:14 AM  
Blogger Borbe Bunch said...

WOW, now that is drama!!! Oh Shell, be careful!! Poor Philly!!! :)
So glad that you are now OK and have quite the story to tell!!
LOVE you and MISS YOU......
coffe is on...
Lizy

3:54 AM  
Blogger JEves said...

That was GREAT. . . only b/c I know that it was you writing and so everything must have come out alright. Yah, you sure did it up BIG, glad to hear that there was nothing more then some trama to Phil. Good that you know that on this side of the ocean, eh!
Love, B for the E's

9:25 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

What the crap?! It would be great if you could NOT go and get yourself killed! I would be so sad....=( Seriously, glad though that you're alright!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home